India China Knowledge and Capacity Building Initiative
A Ford Fellowship Opportunity
Join us for two months next summer in Kunming, China and Kolkata, India to work in partnership with other emerging scholars from Yunnan University and the University of Calcutta. By taking part of this initiative you will:
- Take the innovative India China Interactions course in Spring 2012!
- Meet and work with Chinese and Indian Master’s students!
- Participate in a collaborative research project!
- Present your findings at a major international conference!
- Most importantly, see these two countries from an insider’s perspective!
The three project themes for ICKCBI 2012 are: Ecotourism, Culture and Media, and Development and Governance.
As a Ford Fellow you will receive $750 towards international airfare in addition to having room and board expenses covered on the ground in China and India.
Sat 23/6 All students arrive in Kunming, China.
Sun 24/6 – Thurs 28/6 Orientation, lectures, establish project work plans
Fri 29/6 Team project meetings
Mon 2/7 Begin Kunming fieldwork
Tues 10/7 – Sat 14/7 Trip to Shangri-La: retreat/reflection
Fri 20/7 Mid-term Symposium, Kunming
Sat 21/7 Travel to Calcutta, India
Sun 22/7 – Wed 25/7 Orientation, lectures, establish phase 2 work plans
Wed 26/7 Begin Calcutta fieldwork
Wed 1/8 Team project meetings
Tues 7/8 – Sat 11/8 Trip to Darjeeling: retreat/reflection
Thurs 16/8 Final Symposium, Calcutta
Sat 18/8 Final project reports due
Mon 20/8 All students depart Calcutta
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS — NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2012 —
1) A Recent CV
2) Statement of Purpose: (maximum 3 pages double spaced) addressing why you want to participate in the ICKCBI Summer Program, your interest in one of the three themes, what relevant skills or experience you may have, experience living/working abroad, and how the program fits into your future studies and goals
3) Successful completion of the India China Interactions course in Spring 2012. (Please note that acceptance into the ICKCBI Summer Program is contingent upon this requirement)